Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sleepless in Aylmer

Sleep is coming less easily now. It's a cruel irony (and I mean that in the Alanis Morissette sense of the word) that the less one sleeps, the more difficult it eventually becomes to get to sleep. To those who suffer from true insomnia (i.e., not baby induced), my heart goes out to you.

Last night we had a lovely dinner with Brendan and Michele - and Michele got to meet Emily. For dessert we had dark chocolate and tea. Julie really hadn't had chocolate since Emily came along, and we had no idea what we would be in for last night. Emily was up all night burping and farting out the effects of caffeine and whatever else in chocolate turns a sweet innocent child into something that looks and sounds an awful lot like Gollum. I wound up getting very little sleep, and Julie got less. Poor Emily has been catching up on her sleep all day - which is the only grace we've been given.

I worry about Julie when she doesn't get enough sleep. She needs more than I do, and mothers have a unique burden that fathers, thankfully, are spared. A word to new fathers, if I may: As your partner gets tired and discouraged in those early months of motherhood, offer lots of reassurance that they're doing a darn good job. Frankly, I don't know how they can be up every hour all night and not lose their sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment